Friday, August 7, 2009

Preview - Champions Online


One more and week and three days. That's how agonizingly long it will be until I finally have access to the open beta for Champions Online. It's the spiritual successor to Cryptic's City of Heroes, the first and so far only, super hero themed online RPG. It's an incredible and refreshing concept, that boldly breaks from the usual fantasy setting, a staple of the genre. If you have even a passing interest in MMOs, or comic books, you've probably already read/seen everything there is to know about this much anticipated title. If you haven't, go here now!


A cyber suited warrior, wielding two glowing katanas. Interested yet? I am.

Unfortunately, I can't give any real info as to how the game plays. I'm desperately waiting to get my feet wet once I acquire my preorder beta key. However, I do know that the character creation is by all accounts, unprecedented in its detail and options. If there is anything at all you can think of, you can probably create it, or at least come really close. Think of a super hero version of Spore. The gameplay is a departure from the typical cooldown skills that are the norm in MMORPGs. The game will play fast and be action driven.

There's so much I could say, but it's hard to think of what hasn't already been covered by the gaming world. I just want to express how unusually excited I am to get into this game and I can't wait! I have to recommend that if you have the money and interest, preorder the game. You'll get to try it out, and if it doesn't meet your expectations, you can cancel the preorder before the game ships September 1st.

This guy's goggles allow him to view the Champions Oline website 24/7 without tiring.

I am far from the world's biggest superhero/comic fan, but I've paid my respects to them. I loved Alan Moore's Watchmen, Otomo's Akira, saw the X-Men film series, read some of the old school comics, played some great hero themed games (namely, X-Men Legends). The superhero genre has to be one of the most neglected in the world of games (if you don't count movie based products, but original franchises, such as Freedom Force.) So I have to jump at the opportunity to create my own hero and live the dream. If Champions Online is a hit, it will be very interesting to see how it competes with DC Online.

No comments:

Post a Comment