Tuesday, September 29, 2009

DS Preview: A Witch's Tale


The fall is my second favorite time of the year (summer is my first, if only because it's warmer). But there's another reason why I have a fondness for this season. This is when all the A list, cream of the crop games come out. Just in time for the Christmas shopping season. Which as you know, gets closer and closer every year. Eventually they'll end up combining Thanksgiving and Christmas into a single day, and shopping malls will start blaring holiday music well around the end of August. But I'm getting carried away (or am I? O_o)

Anyway, it doesn't get any better than the fall months for video game enthusiasts. There are some mouth watering PC and console games that I can't wait to get my hands on. One of them just could be A Witch's Tale, due out on Oct. 6th.

I'm a sucker for anime style art. I think it's part of a conspiracy to get gamers to buy titles for their cuteness factor alone. If you don't believe me, check out the female characters in Super Robot Wars: Endless Frontier.

Synopsis: Apparently the world was inhabited by a group of witches living beneath the earth. Eventually, they invade the surface world. A heroine named Alice, uses their own magic against them to send them back. Thousands of years later, the witches are planning to try once again.

Not much to say here, as I couldn't find much about the plot. But based on what I've read, it seems like a decent enough premise.

Gameplay: It will function like most RPGs, featuring random, turn based battles. It will only use the stylus, and the combat will be heavily based on runes and dolls. The dolls act as your party members. While you use the stylus to draw runes in order to cast spells. I've played games that used a similar mechanic, with mixed results. Sometimes you have to fight the DS to convince that you're drawing the sign right, so it can be a hassle. But when it works, its a nice touch, and really makes you feel more like you're casting magic, and not just pressing buttons.


The dark theme is interesting, and perfect for Halloween.

The visuals are based heavily on western supernatural ideas, such as Jack-o-lanterns and skeletons. One would think the game was made specifically for Halloween in mind. In that regard, the timing for the title's release is pretty perfect from a marketing perspective. I can still remember picking up a copy of Ghosts & Goblins for the Sega one October in my childhood, which was kind of cool.

To be honest, I don't know if I'll pick this one up for not. I have an intuition this particular RPG might be aimed at a younger audience. But I'll keep an eye on it as it gets closer to release. There are a lot of games competing for my limited time and money, so one has to choose wisely. Especially in the fall. But this definitely sets the mood for anticipating what else will come down the line. Its especially heartening to know that they'll be plenty more console style RPGs (at least for the DS, which is the only one I mainly follow) to be released after A Witch's Tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment