Friday, October 23, 2009

The A320 Dingoo

Roms and I go way back. I probably started playing them around middle school. If you can get past the questionable legality of them, they're a great way to get in touch with the old days. And I'm about to do that with a portable emulator. I can't wait! I've heard pretty good things about the A320 Dingoo, a multimedia device from China. At just under $100 on thinkgeek I had to pick it up.

Marvel VS Capcom on a mobile device, that's what I'm talkin' about!

With a multitude of incredible features, and the homebrew community around the device, I'm a little skeptical about how its all going to work out. But curiosity can often get the best of me, so it looks like I'm gonna find out. Reading up on the specs, features and reviews on the Dingoo has really piqued my interest. It makes me wish I knew about this gadget sooner. I can't help but feel like an idiot to have spent so much time and money on things like the PSP and Nintendo DS. Now both handhelds are appreciable, but the Dingoo, with its open source platform and astonishingly low price, should set a new standard.

What the Dingoo can do for the price is simply incredible, and it should shame Nintendo and Sony. If a Chinese company can make a profit with the Dingoo, why are we paying so much more for the bigger name products, that are fanatic about DRM and finding ways to continually make money of its user base? The answer of course, is obvious. Its for the money. But perhaps a more appropriate question would be, why do we put up with it? We need to do more to support products like the Dingoo and the GP2X Wiz.

Price of the Dingoo: $100. Price to play all these GBA games on it: $0.

I don't know about you, but I'm stick of what the various game companies have been doing. Take for example, the PSP Go, or the Nintendo DSi. Sure, both systems have things to offer, but they're still largely recycled versions of their predecessors. Considering what you pay for them, there can be serious limitations. Portable emulators should be more deserving of our time and attention for the nostalgia factor alone. Not to mention the various things that the dedicated communities can offer to enhance the products.

I can't wait to get my hands on the Dingoo, I only hope it works and that it's worth it. I'm going to need it if I'm going to survive the boredom of the winter months. The Dingoo can emulate (to varying degrees of quality) the NES, SNES, Sega, GBA, NEO-GEO and Capcom 1 & 2 arcade machines. So yeah, looks like I'm gonna have a lot more to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment